Gauteng offers an abundance of places and experiences for those looking for pet-friendly excursions, restaurants or getaways. Depending on whereabouts you're headed, the whole region is quite conducive to an outdoor lifestyle, typically with a bushveld experience.
We like to choose where to go based on what it has to offer us an experience. So far in Gauteng we offer the generous mountains of Magaliesburg, but we are hoping to add a few more pet-friendly bush & safari experiences too!
Whichever you choose, you can’t really go wrong, especially when you're taking your furkids with!
Some of our favourite destinations include: Magaliesburg.
|Out & About||Generally establishments around Gauteng are quite open to receiving well-behaved pets, and becoming more and more pet-friendly, but do check with the establishment prior to your arrival.|
Gauteng offers an abundance of experiences for outdoor enthusiasts. From visiting the many nature reserves, bush experiences or hiking routes that are also pet friendly, to being able to take your dog to restaurants, markets or even shopping malls with you.
If you’re up for some outdoor fun, we suggest you try these activities:
Most Popular Pet-Friendly Hikes in Gauteng
- Kranskloof, Magaliesberg - It offers challenging hikes for dog-owners and moderate hiking and walking trails to suit your four-legged companions. The area has streams sandwiched by pristine mountains for your viewing pleasure. Note that dogs must be on a leash at all times,
- Buffalo Gorge, Middleburg - perfect for bike-riding while watching over your pets. They also offer mountain biking, horse riding, abseiling, rock-climbing, and paint-balling as part of their activities.
- Huddle Park Golf and Recreation, Johannesburg - Easy going walking trails. Trails range from two and a half kilometres to five kilometres in distance. The newly established dog-walking area is open to the public in summer and winter from 6:30 to 18:00 and 7:00 to 17:00, respectively.
- Walk Haven Dog Park, Johannesburg - Built for the sole purpose of walking your four-legged friends, Walk Haven offers its visitors a little ‘peace’ of countryside. The site primarily serves dogs with enjoyable facilities and beautiful views overlooking two large dams (where dogs can indulge in some day-time swimming) and wet grassland.
Most Popular Pet-Friendly Nature Reserves in Gauteng
- Dinokeng Game Reserve - Reserve with elephants, rhinos, leopards, buffalo & lions, offering lodges & self-drive safaris.
- Faerie Glen Nature Reserve - Stunning nature reserve with a broad range of native wildlife, plus hiking trails & scenic views.
- The Wilds Nature Reserve - The Wilds is an inner city park in the suburb of Houghton, in the city of Johannesburg, South Africa. The park consists of 16 hectares of indigenous vegetation on the sides of two rocky koppies or hills with views of the city of Johannesburg and its suburbs. On leash walking allowed only.
Most Popular Pet-Friendly Restaurants in Gauteng
- Delta Café, Randburg, Gauteng - Great cafe with deliscious foods and also a small shop that sells doggie treats and other food stuffs.
- River Café, Sandton, Gauteng - Variety of food surrounded by nature and rolling lawns. Doggies only allowed outside.
- Vovo Telo, Randburg, Gauteng - Fresh brewed coffee and a range of delicious treats!
- Nice on 4th, Sandton, Gauteng - Delicious and fresh, bookstore next door where you can pick-up a book and read with your furkid at your feet.
- Salvation Café, Millpark, Gauteng - Amazing food options from internationally well travelled chef.
- Arbour Café & Courtyard, Birdhaven, Gauteng - This French-style café has a beautiful outdoor area situated in a courtyard and their crêpes and galettes are a must. The staff is extremely friendly and always offer a water bowl for pets.
- Voodoo Lily, Birdhaven, Gauteng - has something on the menu for everyone, including pets.
- Cnr Café, Randburg, Gauteng - a lively suburban restaurant that’s known for its fresh meals and home-brewed coffee. The restaurant has a large outside area, so your pooch will have a lot of space to laze around.