Mountains – Gauteng
For anyone that has visited Western Cape Mountains, Gauteng mountains are more of very large hillsides. Not in anyway less pretty than their Western Cape cousins, Gauteng mountain escapes typically offer lush green getaways on farms, sometimes with rivers offering a forest like feel.
Mountain side pet-friendly getaways include a variety of accommodations from guest farms, houses, cottages and campsites. Most are usually pretty exclusive with vast open areas, and sometimes even rivers, typically built on a farm.
Some of our favourite destinations include: Magaliesburg.
|Out & About||Typically getaways are usually on very large farms, tucked away in beautiful valleys deep in the mountain. With this, most of these pet-friendly getaways usually have large grounds for dogs to run around, and sometimes rivers and / or dams for swimming.|
Naturally with Mountainous locations comes hiking as a first thought, but with mountains there are also valleys. If you have a water loving pooch some activities could include water based activities such as river rafting, canoeing, kloofing or just swimming in some mountain pools or farm dams.
If you’re up for some outdoor fun, we suggest you try these activities:
Most Popular Pet-Friendly Hikes in Gauteng
- Kranskloof, Magaliesberg - It offers challenging hikes for dog-owners and moderate hiking and walking trails to suit your four-legged companions. The area has streams sandwiched by pristine mountains for your viewing pleasure. Note that dogs must be on a leash at all times,
- Buffalo Gorge, Middleburg - perfect for bike-riding while watching over your pets. They also offer mountain biking, horse riding, abseiling, rock-climbing, and paint-balling as part of their activities.
- Huddle Park Golf and Recreation, Johannesburg - Easy going walking trails. Trails range from two and a half kilometres to five kilometres in distance. The newly established dog-walking area is open to the public in summer and winter from 6:30 to 18:00 and 7:00 to 17:00, respectively.
- Walk Haven Dog Park, Johannesburg - Built for the sole purpose of walking your four-legged friends, Walk Haven offers its visitors a little ‘peace’ of countryside. The site primarily serves dogs with enjoyable facilities and beautiful views overlooking two large dams (where dogs can indulge in some day-time swimming) and wet grassland.
Most Popular Pet-Friendly Nature Reserves in Gauteng
- Dinokeng Game Reserve - Reserve with elephants, rhinos, leopards, buffalo & lions, offering lodges & self-drive safaris.
- Faerie Glen Nature Reserve - Stunning nature reserve with a broad range of native wildlife, plus hiking trails & scenic views.
- The Wilds Nature Reserve - The Wilds is an inner city park in the suburb of Houghton, in the city of Johannesburg, South Africa. The park consists of 16 hectares of indigenous vegetation on the sides of two rocky koppies or hills with views of the city of Johannesburg and its suburbs. On leash walking allowed only.