KwaZulu Nata (KZN) is a coastal South African province, best known for its beaches, mountains and savannah populated by big game. When one thinks of KZN thoughts of either Durban or the Drakensberg comes to mind. It has mostly been a destination where you don't really travel with your dogs, but has started becoming more popular as a destination for the whole family, including dogs! The areas to visit are varied and dog-friendly places including restaurants, beaches and accommodations are growing. Sadly though, most of the nature reserves and game reserves do not allow dogs. The region is quite conducive to an outdoor and adventure lifestyle.
We like to choose where to go based on what it has to offer us an experience: beaches and mountains getaways are prime in KZN.
Some of our favourite destinations include: Margate, Durban, St Lucia, Richards Bay on the coast and Ladismith and Drakensberg more inland.
|Out & About||Establishments around KZN are becoming more open to receiving well-behaved pets. Sadly, most of the nature reserves still do not allow dogs, but do check with the establishment, restaurant or hiking trail prior to your arrival.|
If you’re up for some outdoor fun, we suggest you try these activities:
Dog Friendly Hiking Trails
- Alfred Park - a dog-friendly nature reserve with a swamp forest and grasslands in New Germany, Durban.
- Glenholme Nature Reserve - head west from Durban towards Kloof to find this reserve filled with grasslands, a small stream and a swamp forest. Your dog will love it!
- Lake Naverone at the Umzimkulu River Lodge have their own hike trails however you need to stay on their premises to utilize the trails. ( Good thing we have two of their Getaways listed! Stay at Mangrove Cottage or Pied Cottage)
- Giant Cup trail at Sani Pass Backpackers Lodge,
- Kenmo Lake, Underberg which is a beautiful picnic area and you can take leisurely strolls around the lake.
Dog Friendly Beaches
- Umhlanga Lighthouse Beach - For a view of the sun melting away into the waves of the Indian Ocean, visit Umhlanga Lighthouse Beach. The beach is located right around the corner from the Oyster Box Hotel and is in front of the beach’s main attraction – the lighthouse. Get ready to have the perfect Kodak moment with your dogs. The Umhlanga Information Tourism Centre warns that dogs must be kept on a leash at all times.
- Salmon Bay - walk your dog along the long sandy beach in Ballito. An ideal location to let your dogs swim in the sea. Only 200m away from the popular Clark’s Bay, Salmon Bay’s quieter atmosphere makes it the perfect place to relax with your furry friends.
- La Mercy Beach - Durban’s beach fronts provide the perfect place to walk your dogs. Your dog can run on the beach and enjoy swimming in the waves, while you catch a tan on the beach. There’s even a picnic area on the beach, so pack a basket full of goodies to enjoy after your walk – dog treats included!
Dog Friendly Restaurants
- Oldschool Rebel, Pietermaritzburg - Coffee shop
- More? Here are 27 Dog friendly restaurants in Durban!