Mountains – WC
We have a variety of Mountain side locations in South Africa, and they are not all only limited to the Western Cape, but the majority are. Mountain pet-friendly getaways include a variety of accommodations from guest farms, houses, cottages and campsites. Most are usually pretty exclusive with vast open areas, and sometimes even rivers, typically built on a farm.
Some of our favourite destinations include: Bainskloof, Ceres, Tulbagh, Drakensberg
|Out & About||As with the winelands, the mountains have long since been a great escape for dog-parents. Typically getaways are usually on very large farms, tucked away in beautiful valleys deep in the mountain. With this, most of these pet-friendly getaways usually have large grounds for dogs to run around, and sometimes rivers and / or dams for swimming.|
Naturally with Mountainous locations comes hiking as a first thought, but with mountains there are also valleys. If you have a water loving pooch some activities could include water based activities such as river rafting, canoeing, kloofing or just swimming in some mountain pools or farm dams.
If you’re up for some outdoor fun, we suggest you try these activities:
Pet Friendly Hiking Trails in the Mountains
- Beaverlac, Ceres - although also a great overnight campsite, Beaverlac offers some fantastic hiking and kloofing opportunities with cool mountain pools. Best time to go is during the summer/autumn months when it is warm enough to enjoy the chilly mountain water! There is a cost for day-entry only if you’re not staying over.
- Kranskloof, Magaliesberg - Dogs need to be on a leash at all times during the hike. There is a nominal cost for humans and dogs alike.
- Buffalo Gorge, Middleburg - for the more serious hiker with fitter dogs as well. As there are mountain bikes and horses on the same trail, we suggest you keep you dogs on a leash for this one. There is a nominal cost for the hike.
- Constantia Nek & Kirstenbosch, Cape Town - entrance fee for the Botanical Garden, and dogs must be on leashes throughout the hike.
- Silwerfontein Trail in Tulbagh - Things to note: It is a circular route on one of the local farms. Bookings need to be made in advance. There is a small cost for humans and dogs.
Pet Friendly Restaurants in the Mountains
- Montpellier, Tulbagh
- Rhodes Memorial Restaurant, Cape Town
- Van Loveren, Robertson
- The Oak & Vigne, Greyton